Andrew Cowan is a former federal prosecutor who specializes in white collar criminal defense and complex civil litigation.
A veteran courtroom lawyer, Mr. Cowan has investigated, litigated and supervised complex civil and criminal matters for nearly 25 years. During seven years as an Assistant United States Attorney in Los Angeles, Mr. Cowan successfully prosecuted numerous cases involving fraud and public corruption. In his early career he clerked for a federal judge in Los Angeles and served as a trial attorney at the Antitrust Division of the United States Department of Justice in Washington DC.
Mr. Cowan left government service to take a senior position at a prominent global private investigation firm, where he was responsible for investigating cases involving fraud, embezzlement, theft of trade secrets, and computer crimes. After returning to the courtroom, he built a diverse practice focused on criminal defense and business litigation.
Mr. Cowan’s criminal, civil and investigative experience give him a unique perspective that benefits his clients. He knows how to find and present the crucial evidence to make or defend your case – or to devastate the other side. With meticulous preparation, vigorous advocacy, and sound strategic judgment, Mr. Cowan will take your case to trial if he cannot negotiate a favorable outcome.
Mr. Cowan graduated with honors from both Yale University and the University of Southern California Law Center, and is a member of the California State Bar.
He has been lead counsel in ten criminal jury trials in federal court. Examples of criminal matters handled by Mr. Cowan in recent years include:
- Persuading federal prosecutors not to file charges against owner of recycling firm, after accusations by industry competitors prompted FBI fraud investigation and search warrants.
- Securing post-indictment diversion (involving no jail time) and dismissal for small business owner charged by feds with conspiracy to transport stolen goods.
- Securing non-custody sentence for client who pleaded guilty in multi-million dollar bank fraud scheme.
- Representing witnesses in matters before federal grand juries.
- Representing witnesses in campaign finance investigations before the Los Angeles City Ethics Commission and the California Fair Political Practices Commission.
- Convincing federal authorities not to prosecute spouse of man convicted of selling counterfeit department store coupons.
- Obtaining non-custody diversionary sentence for client who sold cocaine to FBI informant.
His representative civil matters include:
- Successfully litigating breach-of-contract and employment law claims brought by the former CEO of a body shop chain against her ex-employer.
- Defending real estate brokerage in class action lawsuit brought by one of its former agents.
- Representing media company in U.S. Department of Justice investigation related to the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA).
- Defending individual sued by leading technology firm for allegedly impersonating its CEO.
- Invoking anti-SLAPP statute to dismiss politically-motivated “citizen’s lawsuit” against prominent political consultant that alleged campaign finance violations.
- Representing real estate developers against bank seeking to enforce personal loan guarantees.Andrew Cowan is a former federal prosecutor who specializes in white collar criminal defense and complex civil litigation.